Monday, April 14, 2008

Poem of the Month, Part 1

I used to read and write a lot of poetry so I've decided to occasionally, when fancy strikes, post one of my favorites for perusal. Take it or leave it. The first installment here is a prose poem by one James Tate, who won the Pulitzer in the early/mid 90s. This poem always makes me chuckle and reminds me that if something thought of as so gravely austere as poetry can be full of humor, than life can as well. Enjoy.




"Goodtime Jesus"

Jesus got up one day a little later than usual. He had been dreaming so deep there was nothing left in his head. What was it?A nightmare, dead bodies walking all around him, eyes rolled back, skin falling off. But he wasn't afraid of that. It was a beautiful day. How 'bout some coffee? Don't mind if I do. Take a little ride on my donkey, I love that donkey. Hell, I love everybody.

No comments: