Monday, October 29, 2007

The first 2 "congratulations"

So, for the first time, my wife informed a very good friend of ours about our news. Despite warnings of bad baby juju, it just made sense to do it. I swear, there was probably more hemming and hawing about whether or not to tell this individual the news that there was about having a baby in the first place! I was not actually present for this transferring of information, but I did get a phone call later on in the afternoon:

"Congratulations!"

My first thought at a response was: "Oh, thanks! For what, now?" But then I remembered. Oh, yeah. Holy shit, that's right.

So first person to know the news outside of my wife and me was our good friend. The second? Our bartender. Again:

"Congratulations!"

And then life went on as it always has and will. Surreal, for certain.

Oh, and all the histrionics my wife and I endured to devise an appropriate and sensible ruse to explain why she didn't imbibe at the Halloween party? For naught. Why? No one even noticed. Our friends are a bunch of drinkin' fools. Had my wife been drinking out of a emptied human skull, perhaps that would have raised a flag or two. Other than that...not a blip.

No comments: