Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Warming Up

Can you imagine if the gestation period for a human baby wasn't 9 months? What if, say, 1 week after a woman gets pregnant she uncorks a baby? Can you imagine how crazy that would be? All the decisions and thinking and preparations would have to be made within 84 hours.

However, new parents-to-be have 30-something weeks to ponder and muse, to transform their homes into a baby-friendly place, to essentially reinvent the way in which their lives are lived. I really appreciate Mother Nature for allowing me the time to get used to this new idea.

I have a tendency to think way beyond the immediate concerns of a new problem. I actually pride myself on being a "big picture" kind of person, but I think I'm getting carried away. Instead of thinking about how I can convince my daughter that she doesn't have to dress up like a whore for Halloween in order to feel like an attractive female or about how I can convince my son that he doesn't have to be some stoic mesomorphic jag-off in order to feel like a man, I should probably limit my thoughts to those of the let's-just-try-to-keep-it-alive variety. I'll have years to convince my daughter that it's OK for her NOT to dress up as Slutty Condoleeza Rice for Halloween.

No comments: